Share | 

Best Set Of Champions?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Y2J X
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Best Set Of Champions?   Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:45 pm

If you can't get behind this, you will be left behind

Granted I haven't been watching as long as many, but can you seriously remember the last time the entire set of Champions been this good. About a year ago, Bryan and Punk were the only two wrestlers I actually watched regularly, during the time when wrestling (well WWE) was really boring me. It's incredible to think they are now the two World champions. Rhodes has really grown on me this year, and I don't think their is a single Smackdown guy I'd rather hold this belt. Phoenix is awesome, and almost easily my favorite diva currently. Eve gives her some competition, and so does Natalya and Layla. Air Boom is exciting as hell to watch. And even though I much prefer Ziggler than Ryder, I'm still a fan of Ryder and don't have any complaints about him winning the belt. He deserved it and even if I think Ziggler would make the set better, it's Ryder's time with the belt.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on this set of Champions? When was the last time they were as great as this? Or, if you have the antithesis opinion, when was the last time they sucked as much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Punk'r
Mid-Carder

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:05 am

I agree with you, this is a perfectly awesome set of champions. Can't disagree at all.

Interested in RPing? Apex Pro Wrestling is always on the lookout for new members. Anyone and everyone is welcome to try their hand in Apex. Sounds good? Join and find out.
http://apexprowrestling.proboards.com/index.cgi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheWittyTwit
Wrestling Fan

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Agree, it is an awesome set of champions...

HOWEVER.

I have a few complaints. Daniel Bryan's push seemed INCREDIBLY sudden. In fact, right up to him actually cashing in the briefcase, I barely even remember him winning matches. I just feel like he was made to look too weak leading up to winning the championship.

Next, Beth Phoenix. Losing to Alicia Fox... CLEAN... and in less than a minute? Hardly believable television. Not that Beth didn't sell it properly...it just wasn't convincing.

Finally, Air Boom. Phenomenal athletes, and I'm not saying they don't deserve to be champions, but... Also seems a little force-fed. They weren't an established tag team prior to winning the titles, and as such I have a hard time taking them too seriously. I'd like to see more tag teams establish themselves FIRST.... and *then* make a run for the titles.

Also one note on Ryder... His character and charisma is over the top and phenomenal. I do agree he deserves the title and has worked hard on it, but... his in-ring work, I feel needs quite a bit of improvement. I watched his matches with Ziggler, and I completely feel like Ziggler carried each and every match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Y2J X
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:47 am

TheWittyTwit wrote:
Agree, it is an awesome set of champions...

HOWEVER.

I have a few complaints. Daniel Bryan's push seemed INCREDIBLY sudden. In fact, right up to him actually cashing in the briefcase, I barely even remember him winning matches. I just feel like he was made to look too weak leading up to winning the championship.

I think that steel cage match with Henry made him look pretty strong, even though he ended up losing (WSS off the top is a pretty sick way to lose as well). That, and winning the fatal four way against Rhodes, Orton & Barrett to become number one contender in the first place is a big win. Otherwise yeah, they booked him very poorly after winning the briefcase before winning the WHC.

Quote :
Next, Beth Phoenix. Losing to Alicia Fox... CLEAN... and in less than a minute? Hardly believable television. Not that Beth didn't sell it properly...it just wasn't convincing.

Yeah, that really pissed me off. Not only was it under a minute, it was two moves. It only took two freakin' moves to pin Phoenix, who otherwise has been booked relatively strong. Hopefully, WWE never makes this mistake again.

Quote :
Finally, Air Boom. Phenomenal athletes, and I'm not saying they don't deserve to be champions, but... Also seems a little force-fed. They weren't an established tag team prior to winning the titles, and as such I have a hard time taking them too seriously. I'd like to see more tag teams establish themselves FIRST.... and *then* make a run for the titles.

Fair point, but to be honest, I think Air Boom had to win the title as quickly as they did. I think WWE figures the best way to restore the tag titles, was to give the belts to two over mid-carders, and then build up established teams through feuds with the already over Kingston & Bourne. I agree with that and think WWE is heading into this direction (note: The Uso's vs. Epico & Primo on Raw). If someone see's Kingston and Bourne defend their titles against the team of Epico & Primo, and struggle to retain, Epico and Primo look better. The only problem I have is I think Bourne's suspension hurt them.

Quote :
Also one note on Ryder... His character and charisma is over the top and phenomenal. I do agree he deserves the title and has worked hard on it, but... his in-ring work, I feel needs quite a bit of improvement. I watched his matches with Ziggler, and I completely feel like Ziggler carried each and every match.

Honestly, I just don't think he and Ziggler have good in-ring chemistry together. Their match at TLC was average at best, and I agree that Ziggler pulled more of the weight than Ryder. The only thing I like about those matches is how Ziggler sells the Rough Ryder (he makes that look like a credible finisher). However, his match with Cena and Christian for the WWECW Championship match show that he can hold his own in the ring. I'd still probably say he was carried a bit in both, but not much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Legend
Mid-Carder

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 am

I won't delve in to this topic to deeply but I will bring up a few points.

Firstly, I do also think that this is a pretty decent. Maybe not the very best but still, quite a great set of Champs.

I agree with most of what TWT said. I actually enjoy Bryan as Champion but I don't think he should be. His push was way too sudden and winning a Fatal 4 Way a couple weeks before you become champion shouldn't have elevated him so quickly.

I have no problem with Rhodes being the IC Champ for a little longer and at least we have a rest from Zigger as US Champ now. So I see nothing wrong here.

I think Air Boom have run their course and need to drop to someone like Epico, Hunico or whatever they are. The tag team division is kind of pissing me off as of late.

Punk as WWE Champion... I didn't like it at first because of how he said he was going to leave WWE for said reasons and he put on the performance etc... But it seems like most of that was sc bullshit so I can kind of respect him again, but to say that Bryan and Punk are of a higher standard of World Champion now in 2012 then... Lets say Batista and Cena were in 07 doesn't sit well with me. Like I said. Good set of champions but not the best.
-Same can be said for Rhodes and Ryder now compared to Benoit and Hardy in 07... IMO of course, I'm sure there were better sets of champs than 07 of course though.

As for Phoenix being the Womens champ... Well I don't like it, I've never liked it. Not for facts based on skills or abilty but because I always say the Womens division as more of an oasis on the shows and basically eye candy and enjoyment for us. (Others may not agree with me) I don't think Phoenix fits that mold nor does Natalya, I don't want to see how good the Diva's can wrestle. I just want to see Diva's. That being said, someone like Alicia Fox does fit that mold.

This is just my point of view anyway. I still agree that although not the best, this is still a fairly decent set of Champions and they are all pretty much great competitors in the ring.

4DK Certificate of WinRawr Winner
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://worldkombatsyndicate.proboards.com/index.cgi
EdgeHead
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm

We all have our point of view on how the Divas division should be like. The common viewer wants to see the eye candy; the wrestling purist wanna see girls who can wrestle, regardless of their looks. Personally, I'm for a mix of both and there aren't a whole lot of them right now in WWE who can fit that mold. The Divas/Women's division is a far cry from what it used to be (remember the days of Trish Stratus, Lita, Molly Holly and Victoria?) but I don't think it's that catastrophic. At least, we're not stuck with a non-wrestler holding the title for 6 months (guess who I'm referring to?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Legend
Mid-Carder

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 am

Who?

Back to top Go down
TheWittyTwit
Wrestling Fan

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 am

I would tend to agree with Edgehead, in that we need a mix of both sex and wrestling in the Divas division. My biggest problem is that we are not getting enough of EITHER ONE. If we're going to have models like Kelly Kelly and Alicia Fox on the show...for the love of god do NOT make us suffer through a legitimate wrestling match! Kelly vs. Alicia is absolutely, 100% MADE for a bra and panties match.

On the flip side, we *do* have Awesome Kong in the mix. Tamina is good, though heavily underutilized as a legitimate wrestler, and Nattie Neidhart is also not properly utilized, but both sex appeal (so long as she doesn't talk) and does quality work in the ring.

WWE needs to just give us more of either end if they're going to include both sides of the spectrum. And yes, unfotunately.....we may have to suffer through an Aksana vs. Kharma bra and panties match. But tell me it wouldn't be worth it to see the good-looking Divas where they belong.......modeling in their underwear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EdgeHead
Wrestling Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Legend wrote:
Who?

I was referring to Stephanie McMahon circa 2000 but I thought that somebody would've gotten it by now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Legend
Mid-Carder

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 pm

^My Bad

Back to top Go down
Y2J X
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:41 am

Legend wrote:
I won't delve in to this topic to deeply but I will bring up a few points.

Firstly, I do also think that this is a pretty decent. Maybe not the very best but still, quite a great set of Champs.

I agree with most of what TWT said. I actually enjoy Bryan as Champion but I don't think he should be. His push was way too sudden and winning a Fatal 4 Way a couple weeks before you become champion shouldn't have elevated him so quickly.

I wasn't trying to say it should've by the way, just that WWE had on occasion, booked Bryan strong. If it was up to me, he would've won it at Mania, after booking him more strongly. But, I can't complain, I'm just glad Bryan won it.

Quote :
I have no problem with Rhodes being the IC Champ for a little longer and at least we have a rest from Zigger as US Champ now. So I see nothing wrong here.

I think Air Boom have run their course and need to drop to someone like Epico, Hunico or whatever they are. The tag team division is kind of pissing me off as of late.

I don't think you'll have to wait long for Air Boom to drop the belts. Personally, I'm hoping they drop them at Mania (and on the show, not a dark match BS like at XXV), but I could see them losing it earlier.

Quote :
Punk as WWE Champion... I didn't like it at first because of how he said he was going to leave WWE for said reasons and he put on the performance etc... But it seems like most of that was sc bullshit so I can kind of respect him again, but to say that Bryan and Punk are of a higher standard of World Champion now in 2012 then... Lets say Batista and Cena were in 07 doesn't sit well with me. Like I said. Good set of champions but not the best.
-Same can be said for Rhodes and Ryder now compared to Benoit and Hardy in 07... IMO of course, I'm sure there were better sets of champs than 07 of course though.

The only one I agree with is Benoit over Ryder. But I'm pretty much a bigger fan of the current champions to those ones, although I'm a fan of all those men (maybe minus Hardy).

Quote :
As for Phoenix being the Womens champ... Well I don't like it, I've never liked it. Not for facts based on skills or abilty but because I always say the Womens division as more of an oasis on the shows and basically eye candy and enjoyment for us. (Others may not agree with me) I don't think Phoenix fits that mold nor does Natalya, I don't want to see how good the Diva's can wrestle. I just want to see Diva's. That being said, someone like Alicia Fox does fit that mold.

I don't really see the problem with Beth being champion, even from your standpoint. The "eye candy" diva's are still more focused on than Beth (for the most part) on Raw at least, and you still see them on PPV's as Beth pretty much only feuds with them. The main difference now that Beth is the champion, you're most likely going to get a good match along with seeing someone like Kelly Kelly as well. Win-win if you ask me. Granted, I don't find Kelly attractive but you get my point. Of course, totally void if you haven't thought any of the matches have been good, just on wrestling standpoint. Myself, I loved Beth's series with Eve, but both of them are good wrestlers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Set Of Champions?   

Back to top Go down

Best Set Of Champions?
Page 1 of 1